Tuesday, February 28, 2012

First time making arancini


So I've never made arancini (pronounced like the name Aaron and then Chiny). Arancini are rice balls stuffed with cheese and fried. I had spinach artichoke and mushroom risotto leftover and decided to make this. I stuffed the arancini with goat cheese. I also made a grilled romaine salad to go on the side. Details below...

Leftover Risotto Arancini (with grilled romaine salad)
serves 3-4

2 cups leftover risotto
1 egg
enough breadcrumbs to thicken (I made fresh breadcrumbs and used about 1 cup)
-my risotto was very wet and I had to add about 4 tablespoons of flour to dry it up enough
 2 ounces of goat cheese (or other cheese, if using hard cheese cube it)
Oil for frying (about an inch in the pan)
 1 more egg for egg wash
flour to roll arancini 
more breadcrumbs to roll arancini in

2 heads of romaine plus whatever else you like in your salad 
Vinaigrette dressing

First heat your oil in a fry pan over medium heat. Get 3 shallow bowls and place flour in one, equal parts egg and water in one (mixed like scrambled eggs) and breadcrumbs in the next. Then grab a handful of risotto. (This part is messy.) Make a pocket in your risotto and place a small amount of cheese into the risotto ball. My hand is small and it makes about an ice cream scoop full. Place ball in flour and roll. Then put it in the egg wash. Then roll the ball in breadcrumbs. Place into the hot oil. Cook for about 2 minutes per side (until golden) and turn. Cook on all sides until golden brown.
For the salad I just cut a head of romaine in half and brush with vinaigrette. I grill the lettuce halves until I get char marks. Do not flip. chop the lettuce. Add whatever else you like in your salad. I put hearts of palm, tomato, cucumber, cannellini beans and red onions. Toss and add salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment