Friday, February 17, 2012

I (Almost) Did It Salsa! -or- The Best Burnt Salsa

There is a restaurant in San Antonio, Texas called Guajillo's. It is this amazing Oaxacan place with fabulous mole. They also have the most amazing salsa. It is lick the bowl good. I have tried to make it several time. I know it has guajillo chilies which are responsible for the vibrant orange color. It also has a good helping of lime juice and a lot of heat. 

The other day I came very close to making it completely on accident. I was going to make a salsa negra and I did not cook/burn the tomatoes long enough. When I saw that familiar orange color I added fresh ground guajillo chilies and it was really close to that salsa that I love. 


Almost Guajillo's Salsa
makes about a cup

2large slicing tomatoes
2 medium jalapenos (mine were pretty mild honestly)
3 cloves garlic (I had roasted garlic on hand so I used that)
1/4  red onion
2 tablespoon fresh ground guajillo peppers (if you don't have these peppers the salsa is still good without them)
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons cilantro
salt, to taste
oil for coating veggies

Burn, Baby, Burn!
Turn on the broiler. Slice the tomatoes in half in which ever direction give you the most surface area. Coat the tomatoes, onions, garlic and jalapenos. Place the tomatoes cut side up. Put the vegetables in the broiler. For salsa negra you would wait until the tops of the tomato looked like charcoal. For this recipe they were about half charcoal. When they come out place everything in the food processor together. I like mine a bit more processed than most people. Add salt to taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment