Monday, May 13, 2013

Mapo Tofu (Veggie Style)

I have never had real mapo tofu, just like I have never had real Pho. That doesn't keep me from trying to make it awesome vegetarian style. Eric said he would like more texture in it. Next time I will add chopped water chestnuts.

1 tablespoon black bean sauce
1 cup (fake) chicken stock (or veggie stock)
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1-2 tablespoons of sesame oil
1 cup meat crumble substitute
1 leek, sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 inch of ginger, grated
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 block of tofu (firmness of your choice, traditionally it is soft but I used firm)
scallions for garnish, sliced

Heat oil over medium. Brown the leek and meet crumble. Cube the tofu in 1/2 inch cubes and coat with cornstarch. Add the minced garlic and ginger. Allow this to become fragrant (about 30 seconds to a minute). Add the Not-chicken stock, soy sauce, black bean sauce. Reduce this down to half. Then add the tofu and reduce it down until it reaches desired consistency.

Also I added some black pepper (to taste) because I did not have any Sichuan pepper.


No comments:

Post a Comment